Dr. S. Rekha
Director, RR Medicare Centre & E.J.Immunisation Centre
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Born on 18.2.1960 to Mr. R. Subramaniam, an advocate by profession and Mrs. Saraswathy in Mumbai, Dr.S.REKHA did her schooling at Breeks Memorial School at Ootacamund and Holy Angels Convent in Chennai. As a bright and industrious student, she took to Medicine to serve mankind. After completing her Graduation in Medicine at Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai in 1984, she started her Private Practice and has been a successful family practitioner till date. She joined the Indian Medical Association in 2009 to serve humanity.
· She was unanimously elected as President of Indian Medical Association, Poonamalle High Road Branch.
· She personally organised and conducted several Continuing Medical Education programs;
· She organised several Community Out-Reach programs both in Urban and Rural areas.
· Conducted free immunization camps.
· She conducted programmes and Awareness on various Special Health Days/week and month programs as advised by WHO both in National and International front.
· She has participated in State and National Events including Blood Donation camps.
· National projects she accomplished are many viz.
Mission Pink Health- for Adolescent Girls,
Aao School Chale- Health talk for girls of Corporation schools,
Anaemia free India - including Hb check for adolescent girls, De-worming, issue of Haematinics and follow up
Aao Gaon Chale - medical camps for villages, health check and investigations, donating good condition clothes to villages
Welcome the girl child – where a four-dayold girl child was identified and honoured with a Gold Ring with the aim of spreading the importance of girl child to the villages
Beti Bachao Beti padhao Yojana - standard 10th topper was given cash prize to encourage female literacy
· She was part of Cancer Awareness Programme for Women Associations of GST and Central Excise Chennai South Commissionerate where the role of family doctor was emphasized to prevent and detect cancer early and cure.
· She also won the prestigious Best Branch President and Best Over All Performance Branch for the entire State of Tamilnadu for her Indian Medical Association Poonamallee High Road Branch for the year 2018, awarded by the Indian Medical Association, Tamilnadu State Branch.
She is married to Dr. C. Raja Ravi Varma, an Orthopaedic Surgeon and Chief Medical Officer of the Hospital for the Chennai Port Trust (Harbour) who was also a President of the State Orthopaedic Association and notably was a Coordinator for a New World record for performing free Orthopaedic Surgeries to the tune of about 1300 surgeries and worth nearly ten crores.
She has a daughter, Ms. Divya Sitara Varma, who holds an International Degree in Event Management from USA after completing her Batchelor of Engineering and Master in Business Administration (HR). She also mastered Dance including Classical, Semi Classical, Contemporary and Western Dance and runs a Dance Academy and Event Management Company.
In association with her daughter she actively coordinates annual events exclusively for promoting charity to Cancer Affected Children, Under Priveleged Children, financially weak children yearning to achieve academics.
She has a 4 and half year-old grandson Dheemanth Krish, a very smart, cute and highly talented Kid
Not to mention her sweet and lovable Labrador pup of 6 years old!
Passion- Service to Humanity.
Hobbies– reading, listening to music, admiring nature, loves peace
Supporting Breast Cancer
I support this cause because I lost my mother to Breast Cancer at an age of 64, due to lack of awareness of the presence, self examinations and presentations of Breast Cancer and despite me being a medical professional could not save her from this. At the end it was nothing but a miss of an early diagnosis. Awareness of Cancer and particularly Breast Cancer, self examination was poor at that stage in 2000.
Together we can create awareness of Breast Cancer and hence save lives.
Origin of Country: India
New No.86, Old No.C 60, First Main Road
Anna Nagar East, Chennai 600102, Tamil Nadu, South India